If you live in Fairfield you have probably been to Ganims Garden Center but did you know it’s been around for over 50 years? Owner Lee Ganim is a staple in this town. He loves to shop local and helps promote local business on his weekly radio show, he also makes the hanging plants going down Main Street! Ganims has been busy during this pandemic, offering curbside pickup and helping everyone take care of there yards. The staff is very knowledgeable and the variety of plants is huge! If you haven’t been to Ganims check them out, you won’t be sorry!
1. Where are you originally from and how long have you been in the area?
I was born in Zahle, Lebanon and came here to CT in 1956 at age 5 . The store relocated to Fairfield in 1969. We are celebrating almost 53 years.
2. Children / Age(s)
Austin 41 Merrilee 39
3. One thing people would be surprised to know about you?
I love to cook and I bake Artisan bread right at the store in my downtime and I bake Pizza
4. One thing you wish someone would have told you about being a Dad?
I should have had more children to help with the business
5. Favorite local things to do in Fairfield?
Eat out at the enormous choices of restaurants
6. What’s your favorite thing about raising a family in Fairfield?
7. Do you have a favorite family friendly restaurant? Date night?
No, I’m not partial
8. What is your go-to activity for your family? For yourself?
Bowling with the grandkids
9. Funniest part that you’ve learned about parenthood?
Expect the unexpectable
10. Best dad hack that makes your life easier?
Knowing more than my kids, but not telling them that.
11. Ganims Nursery, when did you open in Fairfield and why?
1969, forced to relocate from Bridgeport. For the Rt. 8/ 25 extension
12. When did your radio show start and can you tell us about it?
9 years ago as a PSA, wanted to share my knowledge and expertise w/ the public. You can listen to WICC 660 Sunday mornings at 8am.
13. What is the best part about owning a garden center? Also what does your garden/backyard look like?
Meeting and talking w/ customers. My garden is at the stores in old pots.
14. How has Corona helped or hurt your business?
With folks at home, created a huge interest in gardening both as a hobby and sustainable food source.
15. What do you love about your job? Challenges you face?
Working with my family and making my own hours, owning a business has always been the American dream. We all face the same- what will life be like for our children and grandchildren in the coming years w/ Corona
16. Best advice for dads who experience the inevitable guilt handling a career and helping support a family?
Stay the course, talk to your kids, the virus has brought families back together , the way things used to be 50 years ago.
17. Who has most influenced you to be the father that you are today?
My Dad was a high school dropout , and he was tough, but we respected each other and I decided to be the best father I could be to my family
18. What advice would you share with a new dad or other dads?
Enjoy your children, make time to be with them, wish I could spend the time w/ my kids as much as I spend w/ my grandkids.