We are back! Something about the start of school is like it’s a New Year and time to get back on track! Even though our kids aren’t “technically” in school yet, we feel like it’s time to start fresh! We will continue to post a few recipes a week that are healthy and easy!
We want to stick with easy meals, because honestly who has time for that! Breakfast will consist of hard boiled eggs and whatever fruit and veggies we can get into the blender! Lunch is salads for me, leftovers for my husband and usually yogurt, fruit, cheese sticks and snacks for my daughter, again whatever is easy!
Healthy Pulled Pork Slow Cooker
My healthy pulled pork recipe is cooked in homemade barbecue sauce ingredients – not using the store bought bbq sauce! This is great because there is less sodium, sugar and preservatives compared to any other pulled pork.
- 4–5 lbs pork shoulder or butt roast (boneless)
- 14 oz can tomato sauce
- 3/4 cup applesauce, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp liquid smoke (condiment aisle)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder or flakes
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp whole wheat flour
1. I used a pork shoulder – boneless. Trim meat of any visible fat.
2. In a large slow cooker, add tomato sauce, applesauce, maple syrup, liquid smoke, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine.
3. Place meat on top and spoon some sauce over it. Cover and cook on Low for 10 hours.
4. Remove meat onto a cutting board and turn up heat to High
5. In slow cooker, slowly add flour while whisking until completely dissolved, cover and cook for 20 minutes. While sauce is cooking to thicken, shred meat with 2 forks while discarding bones (if any). Add shredded meat to the sauce and stir. Add to salads, potato buns for sandwiches or with a side of veggies and Enjoy!
Can be refrigerated up to 5 days and frozen up to 3 months!
Here are two recipes I’ve been making that are pretty much become a staple because they are easy!
Cauliflower Chicken Fried Rice
- Bag of Cauliflower Rice
- Bag of Mixed Veggies
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Low Sodium Soy Sauce or Worcestershire Sauce
Throw in a Saute Pan and Mix all together. So easy and so delicious!
Beef and Broccoli
- Chopped Stew Meat
- Bag of Frozen Broccoli
- Sesame Seeds
- Worcestershire Sauce
- Brown Rice
- Cook the Meat on Medium, add the sauce and sesame seeds
- Add the frozen Broccoli and cook until softened
- Microwave the Brown Rice and serve the meat over the rice with the juice