With a Snow Day in the Forecast let us help you prepare! Taste of Home has some great recipes to help get you through the long, cold days we have in store ahead of us so get to the store to stock up!
Banana Pancake Snowman
- 1 cup complete buttermilk pancake mix
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup mashed ripe banana
- 1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar
- Pretzel sticks, chocolate chips, dried cranberries and/or halved banana slices
- In a small bowl, stir the pancake mix, water and banana just until moistened.
- Pour a scant 1/2 cup batter onto a greased hot griddle, making three circles to form a snowman. Turn when bubbles form on top. Cook until the second side is golden brown. Transfer to a serving plate. Repeat with remaining batter
Cold Day Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups uncooked whole wheat egg noodles (about 4 ounces)
- 3 cups coarsely chopped rotisserie chicken
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add celery, carrots and onion; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth, basil and pepper; bring to a boil. Stir in noodles; cook 12-14 minutes or until al dente. Stir in chicken and parsley; heat through.
Health Tip: Stick with tradition. A number of scientific studies actually support the idea that chicken noodle soup can help ease cold symptoms.
Snow Day Cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons 2% milk
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely crushed potato chips
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely crushed pretzels
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate M&M’sSprinkle with confectioners’ sugar. Decorate snowmen with pretzels, chocolate chips, cranberries and/or banana if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, vanilla and milk. In another bowl, whisk oats, flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in potato chips, pretzels, chocolate chips and M&M’s.
- Drop dough by scant 1/4 cupfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake 14-16 minutes or until edges are golden brown (centers will be light). Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.Enjoy the Snow Day!!