Here are some fun turkey recipes to get the kids helping and excited for a different type of Thanksgiving this year!
TURKEY CHEESE BALL
- Pre-made cheese Ball
- Edible candy Eyes
- Pretzel Sticks
- Candy Corn
- Crackers for dipping
- Remove pre-made cheese ball from packaging and flip upside-down. Scoop out a small amount of cheese from the bottom of your cheese ball and set aside. This extra cheese will serve as the “glue” for assembling your turkey cheese ball.
- Flip cheese ball over place in the center of a round serving plate.
- Poke one pretzel stick into the front of the cheese ball to be your turkey’s “neck.”
- Take about 8-10 pretzel sticks and poke them into the back of your turkey in a fan shape. These will be your turkey’s feathers.
- Use some of the cheese you set aside earlier to attach your candy corn onto the top of the pretzel at the front of your cheese ball. Then use more of the cheese to attach the edible candy eyes to this pretzel as well.
- Surround your turkey cheese ball with crackers and enjoy!
TURKEY SANDWICH (literally)
- A sandwich (two slices of regular bread with your favorite ingredients–we used turkey and cheese.)
- Cheddar cheese
- White cheese (we used monterey jack cheese but you can also use mozzarella)
- Black olives
- A red Mike and Ike or piece of red pepper or even a little bit of cranberry sauce
- A sharp knifeDIRECTIONS-Cut out the turkey shape using a sharp knife. For the body, cut a bowling pin shape in the center. Cut pieces around the outside to make the tail. Make sure these cuts are completely through or the sandwich could tear. I used an up and down motion to avoid squishing or tearing the bread.
-Cut an eye shape out of the white cheese and a small triangle for a beak out of the yellow cheese.
Cut tiny pieces of black olive to look like pupils for the eyes then place the candy piece, pepper, or cranberry sauce along the beak as the snood (the red piece off the beak.)
EASY TURKEY BROWNIES
- 1 box your favorite brownie mix
- Miniature peanut butter cups
- Fall colored M&Ms or chocolate candy pieces
- Candy eyes
- Candy corn
- Canned frosting – you will not use the whole container.
Prepare and bake the brownies according to the instructions on the back of the box. Once the brownies are baked, allow them the cool completely before decorating.
HOW TO DECORATE THE TURKEY BROWNIES
- Once the brownies have cooled, cut them into 3 inch circles.
- Add a little icing to the back of a peanut butter cup to add the turkey body.
- Add the candy eyes and a red chocolate candy for the beak/gobbler. Set the chocolate candy on its side so it looks more like a beak.
- Add 4-5 candy corn to make the turkey feathers.