Well that “snow day” was a bust! I think I would have rather had some snow so we could have gotten out and played in it, rather then sitting inside because it was raining and then freezing cold! But being inside helped me meal prep for the week, so something good came out of it! I did my shopping on Friday, so Sunday it took me about an hour and a half to get it all done! Last weeks food lasted into the weekend again, but when it’s a snow day we “cheated” a little, opps!
This week we are having egg muffins for breakfast, Cilantro Chicken Meatballs and Short Ribs Tacos for dinner, leftovers for lunch and energy bites for a snack. I grabbed one of the dinner meals from Paloemg’s book- “Juli Bauer’s Paleo Cookbook” – Slow Cooker Short Rib Tostadas and for the second I went to Paleo Cooking with your Instapot by Jennifer Robins – Cilantro Chicken Meatballs. I put all the ingredients out for everything I was preparing so this helped me start and not have to worry about anything after getting started.
Breakfast and Snack
-Diced up 3 peppers, one onion, and a package of Applegate Breakfast Sausage (cooked these in a skillet quick since they were frozen), added a dozen eggs and pepper and whisked really well. Then poured into silicon muffin tins and cooked on 350 degrees for 25 minutes. These are great and this made 24 muffins so we’ll all be grabbing a few a day. I like mine with hot sauce so I’ll add some when heating them up. You can add when preparing but incase my daughter eats them, I didn’t want to be too spicy!
-Energy Bites are a great snack especially if you have a sweet tooth like me. I used the food processor with the chopping blade. I threw in dates, almond butter, chia seeds, shredded coconut, sliced almonds and some dark chocolate chips. Blended it all and then rolled them in balls and put in refrigerator. You can add anything you want, as long as you have nut butter and dates to pull it all together!
Slow Cooker Short Rib Tacos
3 lb short rib
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
2 tsp sea salt
2 Cups of beef broth
1. Add all of the spices, the beef broth and the lime juice on top of the short ribs in the crock pot or instapot. I used the instapot and cooked for 30 minutes. After it was done, I shredded it, took the bones out, and then broiled in the oven to make it crispy.
2. This is an easy recipe because it pretty much includes all spices you have! The recipe is for tostadas but I like to use bigger tacos so I can make taco shells for the week. The short rib is also great for salads too!
3. Add avocado, pico and cilantro or anything you want on top before enjoying!
For the shells I found a recipe on wholesumyum.com
1/2 cup Coconut flour
6 large Eggs
1 1/4 cup Unsweetened almond milk
3/4 tsp Sea salt (optional)
1. Whisk all the ingredients together and let sit for 2 minutes. Pour into a skillet for 1-2 minutes on each side with the temp on medium. Cook with a lid on the skillet until sides are browning and curling. Place a paper towel in between each one when leaving in the refrigerator, helps absorb extra moisture.
Cilantro Chicken Meatballs
2 lb ground chicken
1/2 onion minced
2 tbsp sesame oil
chopped cilantro depending how much you like
1/4 cup coconut aminos
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 cup avocado oil or olive oil
1/4 cup of water
1. I actually didn’t follow this recipe by putting them in the instapot. I thought it would be weird to roll all these meatballs and put in the instapot so I actually rolled them and baked in the oven on 350 degrees for 20 minutes. I didn’t add the water when mixing. They don’t form as well as meatballs because there is no breadcrumbs but here is the instapot recipe just in case you like to follow directions!
2. Put a spaghetti squash in the instapot for 15 minutes so we will be having these meatballs and spaghetti squash and Rao’s sauce tonight! This recipe made a ton of the “meatballs” so we will be able to eat them all week!
If this freezing cold continues, I’m thinking a soup recipe next week and maybe another sweet treat! Hope you enjoy and stay warm!